Professor Mary Stuart CBE, Vice Chancellor
Professor Mary Stuart CBE is Vice Chancellor of the University of Lincoln. She is a graduate of the University of Cape Town, SA, and the Open University, UK, where she obtained her Doctorate in Social Policy in 1998. Her research interests are focussed on social mobility and higher education, life histories, and civic engagement and leadership in 21st Century organisations.
Mary has a strong track record in all aspects of university leadership and has driven local and regional engagement as a key theme to enhance the regional economy and to connect the global challenges with local need. She has recently worked with the Civic University Commission to develop national policy guidelines on Civic Universities.
Mary is the founder of the 21st Century Lab. She was named as The Guardian’s ‘Most Inspiring Leader in Higher Education’ in 2018 and was awarded a CBE for her services to Higher Education in the same year.
Liz Shutt, Director of Policy
Liz Shutt is Director of Policy for the University of Lincoln and the Greater Lincolnshire Local Enterprise Partnership. She is based in London and works to improve the connection with Government and the Civil Service. She undertook all of the interviews that fed into Thinking Ahead and is now working to develop the next publication of the 21st Century Lab, a manifesto for change.
Liz was previously Head of Policy at University Alliance, helping to establish and grow the organisation over a period of six years and working on a range of projects and publications including on social mobility, student stories, funding, the regional economy and the future of work. She has also worked at Universities UK, Sheffield Hallam University and the Department for Work and Pensions.
She has also recently been a Steering Group member for the UPP Civic University Commission and is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (RSA).
Linda Marshall, VCO Business Manager
Linda Marshall is Business Manager for the Vice Chancellor’s Office at the University of Lincoln. Linda has an MBA which she achieved whilst working at the University, an ILM L5 and is an NLP Practitioner. She is responsible for the overall management of the VCO's support team, as well as the lead on Service Excellence across all areas of the University and process efficiencies through Continuous Improvement.
Linda has responsibility for influencing and leading on key strategic activities around developing cross-university customer service standards and a culture of continuous improvement. She has successfully led teams through change, innovation and efficiencies, receiving institutional recognition awards for Change and Innovation, Collaborative Working/Community Engagement and Promoting Customer Service.
Linda has worked at the University since 2001 and is passionate and committed to playing a key role in its continued growth and evolution.
Thinking Ahead contributors
- Lord Victor Adebowale CBE, Chief Executive of Turning Point and Chancellor of University of Lincoln
- Hilary Carty, Director, Clore Leadership Programme
- Sean Cleary, Chairman of Strategic Concepts (PTY) Ktd, Executive Vice Chair of the FutureWorld Foundation, Managing Director of the Centre for Advanced Governance
- Lake Dai, Partner, LDV Partners, Adjunct Professor, Carnegie Mellon, Co-founder, Shinect
- Daryl Dixon, Executive Chairman, Dixon Advisory, Melbourne, Australia
- Judy Friedberg, Universities Editor, The Guardian
- Libby Hackett, Principal, Nous Group, Sydney Office
- Andy Haldane, Chief Economist, Bank of England
- Dr Najam Kidwai, Serial Entrepreneur and Investor, General Partner of Edge Holdings LLC, Venture Capitalist
- Diane Lees CBE, Director General, Imperial War Museum
- Juergen Maier, Chief Executive of Siemens UK
- 12. Asar Mashkoor, Managing Director, Investment Banking at Emirates NBD Capital
- Nick Molho, Executive Director, Aldersgate Group
Reference Group Members
- Professor Chris Brink, Emeritus Vice Chancellor, University of Newcastle, Senior Research Fellow, University of Johannesburg
- Professor, Sir Graeme Davies, Emeritus Vice Chancellor, University of London
- Professor John Dewar, Vice Chancellor and President, La Trobe University, Melbourne
- Professor Jonathan Grant, Vice-President/Vice-Principal (Service), King’s College London
- Dr Philip Harvey, Executive Director, Vice Chancellor’s Office, Royal College of Art
- Professor Ellen Hazelkorn, Director, Higher Education Policy Unit, Dublin Institute of Technology
- Smita Jamdar, Partner, Shakespeare Martineau
- Alistair Jarvis, Chief Executive, UUK
- Uzma Johal MBE, Cultural and Strategic Partnerships Director, Threshold Studios
- Dr Tom Kennie, Director, Ranmore Consulting
- Mark Leach, Founder, CEO and Editor in Chief, Wonkhe
- Professor William Locke, Deputy Director, Director of the Centre for the Study of Higher Education, University of Melbourne
- Dr Paul Marshall, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Careers and Enterprise), University of East London
- Dr Debbie Mc Vitty, Editor, Wonkhe
- Professor Robin Middlehurst, Professor of Higher Education
- Professor Gavin Moodie, Adjunct Professor in the Department of Leadership, Higher, and Adult Education, OISE, University of Toronto
- Dr Rhys Morgan, Director, Engineering and Education, Royal Academy of Engineering
- James Pitman, Managing Director, UK & Europe, Study Group
- Professor David Price, Vice-Provost (Research), University College London
- David Sweeney, Chair, Research England
- Stephan Vincent-Lancrin, Senior Analyst, OECD
- Professor Shearer West, Vice Chancellor and President, University of Nottingham
- Professor Toby Wilkinson, Deputy Vice Chancellor (External Relations)